Now that 2012 is here, it’s the obvious time to do what we all do – think about the coming year and the past year, and then think about what we want to do different to make a greater or more significant impact in the upcoming year. It’s the natural thoughts we all have.
I was talking with a colleague about what salespeople do when January rolls around and new goals and territories are handed out. They ask the inevitable question, “How am I going to make this…?” So, my question right back is “Do you dream in color?” Do you see the possibilities and the opportunity beyond what you did last year and see HOW your territory can yield even more and bigger results? Are you still thinking that the business will come the same way from the same tactics and skills? Are you linear on your thinking or challenging yourself to be as expansive as possible as you think about the HOW of your business?
The 5 Rules for Dreaming in Color
- Think about who is actually saying “no,” or that they “can’t buy any more,” or that “There is nowhere else for me to go.” Is it your client talking or that little voice in your head saying these things? Did you actually hear “no” or are you thinking you will hear no?
- Stop thinking or saying “I don’t know where the business is coming from.” Every territory has new and untapped possibilities and business to be had. That is a fact. There are new decision makers and new spots of opportunity, and you just need to find them. Are you pushing yourself to see beyond your own beliefs? Dream about what you WANT to accomplish and figure out where the business is – and go get it.
- Don’t let fears limit you. Are you afraid to prospect where you “think” you couldn’t or shouldn’t be prospecting? Why do you have that “fear”? Right now – end that perception of what you can do or where you can and can’t go, and just go and “knock on that door,” as it were.
- Think “outside the box” with regard to your offerings and services. Guess what? There are way more needs for what you offer than you realize, and all you have to do is find those people with those needs. That starts with the basics of selling – discovery, asking for introductions, and networking!
- Improve your skills. What are you going to do to sharpen your skills and hence your sales confidence? Is there someone in your midst you can turn to for coaching and counsel? What do you need to learn in 2012 that will give you the competitive edge you need? Challenge yourself this way – ask five clients what they liked about doing business with you and see what they say. I think you will get a tremendous benefit from this exercise. I do it all the time and my business grows as a result. This takes some confidence, but go ahead and try it anyway!
So – there you have it – are YOU dreaming in color? Are you allowing yourself to see all of the possibility that your sales territory holds even though it may not be obvious? Are you thinking in a way that stretches your offerings and services to fit a new and unfound set of client opportunities, or are you thinking too narrowly to expand your business? That’s your goal for 2012: Dream in color, execute on that dream, and enjoy the amazing outcome!