The pandemic has exacerbated many things. Chief among them realize that we must work smarter to achieve greater levels of success. Every company is now faced with a stark realization: your people are now your competitive currency. Being faster, cheaper, quicker is only as good the people that make it happen. It is not about low cost. It’s about what we always knew to be important – relationships and how we behave, interact and subsequently represent the company.
Profitable companies thrive when people can confidently demonstrate the following qualities:
- Collaborative. Working with people to help a client say “yes” is the only way to build a sustainable culture and bring down the silos that keep us apart. Working around people to get what you want and going rogue will only have long term dangerous consequences. Customers sense dysfunction very quickly.
- The Litmus Test: The barometer for any conversation should be “how is this helping us help our clients say yes?” This levels the playing field and puts everyone on the same page.
- Lack of Hubris. People who welcome help and outside expertise are investing in people for the long haul.
- Cues. Your colleagues take their cues from your behavior, and more importantly, your customers take their cues from your action.
- Courage. Calling out negative behaviors that are contrary to success is crucial. Courage to never say ” I’m just the”.
- Self-awareness. People must be very aware ( a high “E.Q”) of their behavior and the impact it has on others. You may get the job done, but the path of carnage you leave will only make you an outlier. It has a long-term corrosive impact, and ultimately the customers feel it and run away.
- Humility and Vulnerability. It is good, NOT to the smartest person in the room. Companies survive and thrive when people attract others with their approachability and humanity.
The ultimate differentiator of your product and service will always be the people who ARE the company. Those who see this and embrace it will avoid being a commodity.
Companies hiring and developing people who exhibit these human skills will be competitive in ways that eclipse low cost. Do not bet against it.
Todd Cohen, CSP has been inspiring and motivating audiences for over 12 years, teaching them to sell themselves to achieve goals and incredible success. His sales culture keynotes and workshops are in demand from audiences from every background, including sales people! Delivering approximately 85 appearances every year worldwide, Todd leaves people with a story to tell and feeling great about themselves!